My last visit to the refugee family that my group is working with was a lot of fun. When we entered the apartment, each of us made sure to remove our shoes as a display of respect for this cultural custom. After doing this, we noticed the mother and the oldest daughter weaving scarves in the other room. In another attempt to display respect, I inquired about what they were doing and asked if they would show me. They showed me the process by which they make the scarves and a couple of finished products. After they explained this, we moved into the living room to begin that night’s study of English. Walking down the hallway, I heard the loud voices of several children and immediately knew that the family had company. The family had invited their cousins over that night. After introducing ourselves, we began to work as usual, but I quickly noticed that the group dynamic had been significantly altered by the presence of their extended family. Unlike the family, their cousins were very loud. They have also been in the United States for much longer and are, therefore, much more proficient in reading and speaking the English language. When working with the family, the cousins would often shout out the answers to questions we asked without giving them time to even think. This night, more than all of our other visits, required task role behaviors and interaction management in order to accomplish what we were there to do.
I never want the family to feel as if I think that I am superior to them simply because my knowledge in this subject (English) is greater than theirs at present. In an effort to show them this, I often have them teach me words in their language. I also make an effort to inquire about and express interest in their culture, as I did when asking about how they made the scarves. Respect can also be shown nonverbally. Obeying their cultural custom by taking our shoes off as we entered their home is a nonverbal display of respect that we engage in each time we visit the family. These simple things display respect for their culture and indicate competent communication. Displaying a respect for their culture will go a long way in furthering the interpersonal relationships forming between the family and myself.
Task role behaviors were absolutely essential during this visit. The ability to ask questions, receive answers, and keep the group on task was complicated by the presence of the family’s cousins. Much of the night was spent socializing. I did not want to be rude, so I tried to understand the fact that different cultures approach completing tasks very differently. While I view a task as something to be completed quickly and efficiently, they may not. Socializing could be an integral part of completing tasks in their culture. When we were on task, however, the cousins would shout out all of the answers. I occasionally would try to manage the interaction by reminding the cousins to let the family have a turn in answering.
Each time I visit the family I learn so much about communicating interculturally. This week, I learned that displaying respect for another’s culture really opens the channel for better and more competent communication. I also learned the importance of possessing interaction management skills. I think that I would benefit from developing these skills and task role behaviors. Being proficient when it comes to these two areas will benefit both myself and the family in future interactions.
No comments:
Post a Comment